After testing: game has issues with ATI Graphics card

Having tech problems? Need a driver? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.

Moderator: FocusTechSupport

After testing: game has issues with ATI Graphics card

Postby LetDown » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Beside the frustration -mine and other gamers- this really had me curious. After testing this game on various systems with both ATI and NVIDIA cards (which is something that should have been done prior to the game release), I came to the conclusion that this game is bias towards NVIDIA cards and doesn't 'like' ATI cards.

Let me emphasise that all systems are sound and that their sound/graphics drivers were up to date and none had trouble running any games thrown at them, until this one that is.

On systems with NVIDIA cards; pre-parched: sound very choppy -to the point you cannot bear it. Does NOT crash at the begining of Chapter 2. After installing the patch, the sound issues seemed fixed, but I know not what other bad surprises may lay ahead as I didn't carry on with the game -need a serious break from it.

On systems with ATI cards; in ALL instances; same sound issues. Game DOES crashe at the begining of Chapter 2. Now after the patch install, the game refuses to start, telling you your graphics adapter does not support the native display, having conveniently forgotten that, prior to patching, the game had no trouble running with that same adapter.

There's no way this can be a coincidence, and I don't believe that blaming people's configuration or faulty/not up to dat intallation of sound/graphic drivers is the way to go.

Now I'm not saying there are no crashes with NVIDIA cards, it's just that me personally I haven't carried on enough with the game to find out, and right now I don't want to.
LetDown

Postby adicristea » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:53 pm

Thank you for testing. As I said on the other topic, I thought also that the problem lies between game and ATI graphics. As you said, this should of have been tested BEFORE the release. Now let's hope someone will pick this up really fast and patch the game somehow.

PS. There is a good part to this, because of this game (that i like, played the first two parts in a heart beat) I will change my laptop with another one with NVIDIA GT220M graphics card 1GB RAM (now I have ATI Xpress 1100 with 128 Shared).
adicristea

Postby FocusTechSupport » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Yes, there is a compatibility problem with ATI RADEON 9x00 series, X300/X600/X800/X1100/X1200 series and XPRESS 200 graphics controller too.

There is no problem with other ATI graphics cards series (X1300 and higher, RADEON HD...).

The game uses some large textures (in chapter 2 for example) and these graphics controllers cannot display these textures (too large).
Pendulo Studios is working on a technique to resize automatically some large textures. We hope that this issue will be fixed using this technique.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

FocusTechSupport
|Focus|

Postby adicristea » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:53 pm

Ok, thanks.

But you will have to think that with patch 1.05 the game doesn't even start as it does with 1.01 (and the game crashes at chapter 2). So this is not about large textures, there is something else.
adicristea

Postby LetDown » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:03 pm

adicristea wrote:Ok, thanks.

But you will have to think that with patch 1.05 the game doesn't even start as it does with 1.01 (and the game crashes at chapter 2). So this is not about large textures, there is something else.

You've beat me to the punch adicristea :D There is indded a much deeper problem than just textures size involved. Which is usually why game testing has an important part to play. Granted you cannot have testers for every combination but a fair range from low to high end cards/systems, from newest to a few years older is a good idea...
LetDown

After installing 1.05 patch - Problem fixed

Postby lfogs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:44 am

Go to the installation folder and with notepad edit "ratof.xml" file!

You will see display and resolution configuration just like this:

Adapter = 1
Width = 1280
Height = 720
Format = 32
RefreshRate = 60

change the Adapter value to "0" zero, and if you wish the resolution to your monitor default values.

In my case I'm using Nvidia Geforce 275GTX

That's how my "ratof.xml" file looks.
Adapter = 0
Width = 1360
Height = 768
Format = 32
RefreshRate = 60

Forget "RATOF-Config.exe" file it doesn't change your resolution

After that:
I'm running windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Right click the "RATOF.exe" file and click properties
Click the Compatibility tab
Check the Disable Visual Themes box
Check Disable Desktop Composition box.
Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
Run as administrator.

When I've started the game it was fully working for me!!!
lfogs

Postby potatorhymer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:26 pm

@lfogs:

i thought there was no issue with nvidia cards....were you getting the same error message as all the ati users?
potatorhymer
P'tit joueur
P'tit joueur

Postby lfogs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:15 pm

potatorhymer wrote:@lfogs:

i thought there was no issue with nvidia cards....were you getting the same error message as all the ati users?

Yes It happens with nvidia cards
lfogs

Postby adicristea » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:02 am

I do not have any ratof.xml file. Is that the same with ratof.config? It looks like the same content.
adicristea

Postby Olly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:05 am

Hi guys

I am having the same problems with ATI graphics card.

applied the patch and the game won't run at all. . tried all the fixes suggested and still no joy :(

(I too don't have the ratof.xml file only the ratof.config file that looks the same and seems to be configured fine for my 19" monitor)

I can play without the patch and have started chp 1 but am nearing the end and noticed from various posts across forums that the game is likely to crash at chp 2 (without the patch) so wanted to know if anybody has a save game for the start of chp 2 or knows where I can get one.

thanks in advance guys ;)

Also am a bit thick but what will disabling the Visual themes in the game .exe do, if anything.. **confused**
Olly

Postby FocusTechSupport » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 am

Latest information from Pendulo Studios about the fix for ATI RADEON 9000 series, X300/X1250 and XPRESS 200 graphics controllers:

Wedneday, December 9.

We are working on the solution and it will be finished next days but it’s going to be impossible to get it ready this week, but for sure that it will finished the next (I’m not sure about the day). Please, tell to players to have a bit more of confidence.

PENDULO Studios.

Last edited by FocusTechSupport on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
FocusTechSupport
|Focus|

Postby adicristea » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:03 am

So We will have something to "work" on holidays :). Thanks.
adicristea

Postby Olly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:08 am

well as expected the game crashed in chp 2.. :(

I see a fix is coming but not for my older Radeon card.. 9550 series *cries**

so if anybody does have a save at the start of chp 2 (after the asylum chat with the banana guy which is where it crashes) I'd really appreciate it.. ;)
Olly

Postby adicristea » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:13 pm

It will not matter, I played the game a little on a NVIDIA card and took the saving to my laptop with ATI card, but no matter where I'll begin in chp 2, the game still crashes.

PS. I see that the patch will be available for 9000series too.
adicristea

Postby Olly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:32 pm

oh thanks for that adicristea.. ;)

suppose I'd better play something else until it's sorted. .

have enjoyed the bit I have played so far :D
Olly

Next

Return to Technical Issues